Admission and Application
The minimum requirements for admission consideration to this program are as follows:
- Completed undergraduate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- GRE score of 300 (total; minimum of 150 verbal and 150 quantitative) or MCAT of 28 (total). In the instances where the applicant is a clinician, successful completion of the USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 board exams may be accepted in lieu of the GRE or MCAT scores.
- TOEFL score where applicable (minimum score requirement depends upon the test taken; standards established by the WVU Office of Admissions, International Graduate Students)
- Significant undergraduate coursework in the physical or biological sciences is strongly recommended (1 year of biology, 1 year of math, 1 year of chemistry, and 1 year of social sciences) as is research experience
It is anticipated that admission to this program will be competitive; meeting the minimum admission requirements will not assure acceptance to this program.
Application deadline for early decision Fall admittance is January 15th. Admissions will be considered after this date only if space is available.
Students must submit an application that includes:
- A personal statement that addresses their desire to complete a doctoral program in clinical and translational science, a career in biomedical research, and how their background, including their research experiences, have prepared them for this doctoral program
- A résumé or CV that indicates relevant experience and the years and location (institution) of completion of undergraduate degrees and any graduate or professional coursework or degrees
- Three letters of recommendation from professional and / or academic referees, in which the referees clarify how long and in what capacity they have known the applicant and their assessment of the student’s likelihood of success in doctoral-level work. Letters should come from professors or supervisors who evaluate your performance in research (if you have prior research experience) and/or coursework (only if you have no prior research experience). Letters must be signed by your recommender and should be placed on official university or company letterhead.
- Applications to this program will be reviewed by a program-specific admissions committee.