**INTEREST FORM & FULL APPLICATION DEADLINES HAVE BEEN EXTENDED. UPDATED DATES CAN BE FOUND BELOW**
- BIOSTART Interest Form Deadline: August 5, 2020 by 5 p.m.
- Full Application Deadline: August 10, 2020 by 5 p.m.
Funding Opportunity Description
This WVCTSI funding opportunity is offered in collaboration with the WVU Tissue Bank and the ECCC Tissue Bank for the purpose of promoting the use of tissue samples in clinical and translational science research. The latter is defined as the process of making discoveries in the research laboratory or in preclinical studies that will have an impact on human health and may lead to the development of studies in humans.
Applications focused on, but not limited to, specific health areas of importance to West Virginia and Appalachia at large are currently being accepted.
Award Project Period
The scope of the proposed project should determine the project period. The maximum project period is nine (9) months.
The budget is limited to a maximum of $10,000 in total direct costs for nine (9) months. Please see Application Instructions for detailed allowable expenses. Do NOT include tissue sample processing costs as those will be covered by the funding agency.
- Principal Investigator (PI) must hold a faculty appointment or equivalent at the time the award is announced. Appointments can be held at CAMC Institute/WVU Charleston, Marshall University, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, and West Virginia University.
- For the purposes of this RFA, these are individuals who can independently apply for federal or nonfederal investigator-initiated, peer-reviewed Research Project Grants (RPG). Individuals holding postdoctoral fellowships or other positions that lack independent status are not eligible to lead pilot projects.
- Note that Marshall University faculty members must hold an appointment in either the School of Medicine or the School of Pharmacy. Other Schools and Colleges at Marshall University are NOT currently eligible.
- Faculty named in the WVCTSI organization (i.e. program chairs and key personnel) are restricted from serving as PI on WVCTSI pilot grants, as well as prohibited from having funds directed to their labs or programs. However, such individuals may be included on pilot grants in supportive roles such as Co-Investigators, mentors, and consultants.
- The Project lead for Pilot projects may not concurrently have funding from other IDeA Program award mechanisms (e.g. CTR, INBRE, and COBRE).
- ** No human subjects projects requiring the enrollment of participants or clinical trials allowed for this funding mechanism**
Applicants MUST contact Wes Kimble, MPA, Assistant Director of Clinical Research Services, PRIOR to application to determine tissue availability for specific research criteria. To ensure proper guidance, complete the BIOSTART Grant Interest Form and email it to, email@example.com (please copy firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com)